Day Program Direct Support (ON-SITE)
Toronto, Canada • Operations • Fulltime • DPDS001
40 Samor Road, Toronto, Ontario M6A 1J6
Starting pay: $21.83
WE ARE: Since 1979, Aptus has specialized in supporting people with complex needs, including those who have a dual diagnosis mental health disorder. To meet these needs, Aptus has a comprehensive clinical team, including Occupational Therapy, Recreation Therapy and Behaviour Services teams.
“How we care for, nurture, and respect the choices of each individual, helping them to live fully and as members of the community,” that’s what Aptus is all about,” ~ Queba Nongmiseh, Team Manager
YOU ARE: Passionate about working with those with disabilities. Creative, curious, and able to build relationships, you never stop learning, thrive on constant change, and celebrate the developmental wins of the people you support every chance you can. Overall, you will have a direct impact on improving the lives of our clients, their families, and the community.
WHAT YOU WILL DO – ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish a respectful relationship with everyone we support which recognize their rights as a citizen and promote their dignity and well-being.
- Support individuals to develop decision-making skills, exercise choices, and assume responsibilities and reasonable risks. Involve individuals and their advocates in the decision-making process.
- Develop and/or implement support agreements to achieve personal outcomes using Personal Outcome Measures.
This position will require you to provide support to a wide range of complex needs, including behavioural support, medical support, and providing personal care. For this position, you will need to have a demonstrated degree of flexibility regarding work hours and schedules to meet the needs of the organization and the people we support. Daytime and occasionally evening and weekend availability will be required.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED (QUALIFICATIONS)
- DSW or equivalent, preferably with a minimum of two years of experience working with people who have an intellectual disability
- Ability to support behavioural needs and protocols
- Previous experience supporting people who have mental health diagnoses and dealing with high-anxiety situations
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to follow and create Support Plans
- Ability to relate to the specific support needs of the people supported at assigned location
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills including written and verbal
- Ability to maintain accurate documentation and some experience in scheduling
- Computer skilled and able to use Microsoft, Excel, Emails, and other programs
- Current First Aid, CPR, and Non-violent Crisis Intervention certificates
- Proven use of CPI strategies including verbal de-escalation
- Training in dispensing medications
- Valid driver’s licence (G or G2)
- Vulnerable Sector Screening
Aptus Treatment Centre is an equal-opportunity employer which welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Please note: COVID-19 Considerations: We require all new staff to be vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of hire.
Click here to apply: Careers